Tuesday, February 04, 2014

About Time (2013)






“Never judge a book but its cover” so they say…

Yet I seem to make that same mistake from time to time, consequence of intricate aspects of past experiences which lead me to misjudge character or value in something… whether be it a person, a film, a play… anything!

However, in certain occasions that sense of misjudgement can set in motion a great reaction. Having incredible low expectations for something that ends up being quite good, thus catching you by surprise and leaving you almost in utter disbelief.

That’s what happened with the movie About Time (2013). 

During the longest time I saw the poster all over London, featuring a smiling Rachel McAdams under heavy rain… It looked like one of those basic, cliched romantic comedies. Right from the start, I was quick to dismiss the film… until the day where I got to its iMDB page. I don’t know how or why, but something took me there and having seen the rating, my level of curiosity arose.

Wrote down on my “to see list”… but had so much going on during the next few days, I had no chance of getting my hands on it. Soon after, I was leaving to Dubai on a work trip… 
The movie was long gone in my mind. Didn’t even remember it ever existed. 

But it was on my return trip to London that I came across the title on the on-board selection… and with 7 hours to kill… it seemed like the perfect time to watch it.

It was one of the best things I’ve seen recently… It’s  smart, funny and remarkably profound without having to over-think it.

And it’s a movie which is accessible for everyone, in the sense that it will suit your needs/demand.

Highly recommend it!

No comments: