Tuesday, May 08, 2012

21 Jump Street (2012)




When 21 Jump Street (2012) was given a green light and announced, I was extremely excited with the idea, after all, this was a popular show that I enjoyed during my teenage years. For those of you struggling to remember what it was, its probably known to most as being the vehicle for Johnny Deep's mainstream success. There he rose to stardom after showcasing his talents in the 80's police drama television series.

As I got deep into knowing who was directing and starring, I came across Jonah Hill's name as being the lead alongside Channing Tatum - of which I'm fond of. This was a major upset as I felt that Jonah didn't had the right profile for the part. I wondered why he would get such a role, but didn't took long to find out why. He was executive producer and one of the screenwriters. That instantly became a major turn off for me, but regardless of that, I still gave the movie the benefit of the doubt and waited patiently for more updates.

The trailer became available (can't remember when) and it caught me by surprise. It seemed nothing like the source material, however, it had various moments to which I reacted with laughter. It seemed like a comedy that went against the genre/concept of the original show. Nonetheless, I was still curious to see what kind of references would they make and what comedy style would be inflected throughout the film. 

Meanwhile, the reviews started to come out and they were pretty good. I knew without going into detail reading them, avoiding any chances of getting disclosed information.

So finally, I got a chance to watch it... and let me tell you this: It's hilarious!
If any doubts remained, they were immediately dissipated... The film had very little to do with the show. It was sort of a spoof adaptation, having part of the original concept mixed with a high level of outrageous and, some times, candid humor. This is essentially a satire of the 80's with nice references visual references, a few excellent lines and surprising cameos. 

There is one particular dialogue - in my opinion - that says it all, not only about the reviving concept this film is approaching but also the kind "critique" they try to establish :

Deputy Chief Hardy: Fortunately for you two, we're reviving a cancelled undercover police programme from the eighties, and revamping it for modern times. You see the guys in charge of this stuff lack creativity and are completely out of ideas. So all they do now is recycle shit from the past and expect us all not to notice.

Having said that, one thing that I related a lot was the relationship between the two leads and the good times they seem to have among other people. It brought me back my high-school and college days in a very nostalgic way. For that and more, it was a pleasure to watch 21 Jump Street, an intoxicating comedy with a good cast, where Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are definitely the highlights, such is their big chemistry and charisma.



I would also advise watching this hilarious interview with both lead stars.
Pretty much sets the mood for the movie.

 

No comments: